Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Deconstruct/Reconstruct



Project Objective: Deconstruct, dismantle, take to pieces a piece of furniture Then reconstruct, build or form after it has been damaged or destroyed; reorganize. But the reconstruction must be based on a person I know.



I based this project on my grandma and my childhood memories of growing up around her house.
When I was young, her large, trinket-filled, tree-surrounded house seemed mysterious and full of secrets.
Every room was an adventure, full of things to be discovered.
The house would often be filled with the sounds of my grandma playing piano.
A few years ago my grandma surprised me with an old Wurlitzer piano paired with a creaky, crooked piano bench.
I chose to deconstruct this old, broken piano bench to create an aged door opening to reveal a glimpse into my childhood imagination.
Birds made from storybook pages burst from a skeleton-key forest.
Childhood memories are so easily forgotten.
My intention is for this piece to portray and preserve that sense of mystery, adventure, and childlike imagination.

























No comments:

Post a Comment